Monday, October 20, 2008

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

It's the 20th of October and the month is just about over. Before you know it, Christmas will be here, and we will be making our new years resolutions to loose those extra 10 pounds we put on at break. I have been meaning to write this post for the past month and finally have a moment to sit still and reflect on it. So much has happened in the last month that I finally feel like I am caught up on life.

Yes, this month is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and I wanted to share with you how important it is for women (and men) to get screened for breast cancer. Depending on what your family history is, some women start getting mammograms at the age of 25. Others are told to wait until they are 40. About a month ago, I noticed some lumps and went straight to the doctor. My doctor immediately sent me to get a mammogram and an ultra sound. Because I have an excellent doctor, and amazing health care, they don't mess around when it comes to breast cancer.

Not knowing what any of my true medical history is because I am adopted, I have to play every day by ear when it comes to dealing with medical issues. I was scared to death when right after I had the mammogram the technician said, "we are going to need to send you to the medical center for more tests". WHAT? This must be really bad. Thinking the absolute worst, I was a wreck. At first, I could not tell my Mom about what was going on at first, because I did not want to scare her even more, as she is a 11 year survivor of breast cancer and thanks our dear Lord for every new day. My husband, who works for this amazing health care company, ensured that I would get the best treatment no matter what. In sickness and in health, that is what it is all about.

At this point, after I had all of the tests, I was thinking the worst. How do I continue if I really do have breast cancer? Then I thought of my dear friend Carrie whom I work with. She is a breast cancer survivor, who shows the rest of us that there is life after chemo, loosing your hair, loosing others who you love to this horrible disease. She has been on the ride of her life the past 6 years and I admire her daily for her faith and strength.

The good news is that the lumps they found are benign and I just have to go back every few years to get them checked out. Ladies, check yourself daily! Ask your doctor for one of those cards to hang in the shower.

My friend Stephanie lost her Mom to breast cancer 11 years ago last week. She has asked her friends to join her on the Breast Cancer 3 day Race for The Cure next year. Hopefully I will get to join her to race for the cure.

We remember those who have lost their battle to breast cancer and we remember all of the women and men who continue the fight of their lives.

2 comments:

Shannon Lott said...

How scary Tira! Thank goodness the news was good for you:) Such a reality check for all of us women.

Mary Marantz said...

Omigosh! That's so scary Tira! I'm so glad it turned out ok! Thank you so much for reminding all of us to keep doing those checks and take care of ourselves!