Thursday, May 22, 2008

BSOL 117: Azusa Pacific University

A few weeks ago, I was asked by Dr. Dave McIntire to come and take a few group pictures of his current cohort, BSOL 117 and then give them a 5-10 min. pep talk on how I made it through the program, and graduate school. Let me back up a bit for you so you know what the heck BSOL is.

BSOL stands for Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership. It is a major within the (CAPS) Center for Adult and Professional Studies Program at Azusa Pacific University. A few years ago, I started this program, and never thought in a million years that I would ever earn my college degree. The BSOL/CAPS program is designed for working adults, 25 and older who have completed 60 or more college credits and have the desire to complete their college degree. I fell into this category a few years back and went full force into the BSOL program, going to class every week from 6-10 p.m. for 60 weeks. We had a new class every five weeks, and our final project might as well been a mini-dissertation. This program was completely doable since I was so organized. What I will say is that you have to have a serious conversation with your family and friends to let them know your commitment to your education when they begin to wonder where you are, while you are buried in the books or behind your computer. On July 30, 2005, I graduated with my B.S. in Organizational Leadership and I am eternally grateful to Dr. David McIntire for encouraging me along the way.

The individuals in the photo below are going to be graduating on July 25, 2008. They have worked so hard in order to fulfill their lifelong goal of earning a college degree. After we did their mini photo session, we went to their classroom so I could share a little about my journey in the BSOL program, and then how I went on to get my M.Ed. in College Student Affairs. I expressed to them that this program (BSOL) prepared me to be a better leader, writer, friend, and overall person. I would love to have further conversations with anyone who wants to pursue their college degree but never knew how to.

Congratulations BSOL 117! Click here to see more group pictures BSOL 117 - Azusa Pacific University

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You are really good!